Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cool Running and Vysehrad Castle


Planning what to do in each city can be a chore for me, and even with a guidebook of Prague, I still wasn’t sure what I wanted to do during my days in Prague. My 2 go-to websites for advice are usually wiki travel and tripadvisor.com, and through trip advisor I stumbled across something I’ve always wanted to do, and that my parents have talked about doing on multiple occasions: A bobsled run! Well, not exactly, there’s no ice or sled, but there IS a concrete track down a hill and you ride down on a small cart with wheels and a brake. Legit!

You can control how fast you go with the brake, and if you don’t brake at all, man, you better hold on, lean into the turn, and pray that you don’t crash. Haha I met a couple in Budapest that crashed on the bobsled run outside Budapest (apparently it’s the biggest one in Europe), and the girl had a pretty gnarly scar from it. The dude leaned the opposite way of the turn….

I’ve always wanted to do the one in Canada just north of my house in Spokane (Kimberley?), but apparently it’s closed down now because it’s a “safety hazard.” Man, Canada’s becoming too much like the U.S. these days where everything is a safety hazard and people will sue companies over the slightest scratch. If you crash your sled in Europe, it’s YOUR fault, like it’s supposed to be. Unless of course the brakes broke or something else like that.

Anyway, I took the metro out to this place in Prague, just outside the city, and made two epic runs down the course. I would have done more, but it was kinda pricey, and I was content after two. It definitely go my adrenaline pumping tho. Some of the turns were pretty intense and I felt like grabbing for the brake, but had to resist in order gain maximum speed which could be measured at the bottom of the track (it wasn’t working when I was there tho L ). I have to admit that for one of the turns, I had to brake beforehand. You come flying into it at max speed, and there is no way I would have survived without braking a little. Idk I kinda wanted to do a 3rd run and test out not using the brakes on that turn just to see if I could pull it off. I definitely have a lot of respect for all the Olympic athletes who do that stuff. )

After bobsledding around for a while, which didn’t take long actually, I made my way to the other side of the city to check out Vysehrad Castle. It was pretty cool. It used to be a fortress/castle in Prague, and had an impressive wall all around it. It had a 360 view of the city depending on where you were at, and despite the fog, I could still see a fair amount. It didn’t take long to explore this sight either, but since I got a late start to the day (as usual), it was already getting late/dark by the time I was done walking around.

The rest of the night was fairly tame if I can recall. I made my way back to Adam’s, said hello, then walked to the nearest bar/café to chill on my computer and give Adam some space. Since I was staying at his place for 5 nights, and had spent a lot of mornings/nights hanging out in his kitchen/room, I felt it would be best to give him some space so he didn’t feel like I was intruding. Couchsurfing is definitely great, but as a guest, it’s always important to respect the host’s personal time.

I’m not really sure what we did the rest of the night, but we may have watched some American Dad, cooked a pasta with homemade sauce (something I am doing from now on bwt), gone out to a bar for a drink or two, I may have skyped with jenny, I may have planned the next day of my trip, killed some time on facebook/gmail, blogged (not likely haha) or I could have gone to bed early. Idk I’m trying to remember what I did over 10 days ago which is tough. Side note/ending note: The next time in Prague, I want to see a Black Light Theatre show. I’ve heard mixed things about it, but I think it would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment